Monday, November 19, 2007

Dove Candies Screws Up Their Packaging

From time to time I like to write blog headlines inflammatory enough to find their way onto CNN or, more likely FOX NEWS, since those folks seem more vulnerable to hype.

But I really think Dove has screwed up the packaging for their foil wrapped chocolate squares. You have two choices -- dark chocolate and milk chocolate. Before I get to the problem, let me start with a little marketing research.

Answer the following questions:
1. What color foil would you use to wrap your dark chocolate squares? Red or blue?

2. What color foil would you use to wrap your milk chocolate squares?  Red or blue?

If you answered BLUE foil for dark chocolate squares -- correctamundo!!

If you answered RED foil for milk chocolate squares -- you got them both right!!!

So far everyone I've asked has answered correctly. Now here's the problem:

The Dove people have wrapped the dark chocolate squares in RED foil. And the milk chocolate squares in BLUE foil. This is so stupid.

Already I have taken home the wrong chocolate twice because of their dumb mistake. Why don't they know that RED should be for MILK chocolate? And the BLUE should be for DARK chocolate? Never the other way around.

I don't have to have a reason. Just a gut feeling. But one of the people who agrees with me said, "Blue is darker, so that should be used for the dark chocolate."  That's good enough for me.

The only reason I can figure the Dove peeps have created this packaging color screw up is because they're hoping that people like me will get confused and end up buying twice as much chocolate as they planned. Like marketing people would ever be smart enough to pull something like that off.

I would love to accuse them of a conspiracy, except I know that the process would take too many years. Most MBAs don't stick around one place that long. Plus nobody makes decisions without a consensus. You'd have to start things off with an ideation, followed by focus groups, followed by quantitative testing, followed by at least two dozen meetings to discuss the "numbers."

*YAWN*

What probably happened is that the BLUE foil was supposed to be for the dark chocolate and the RED foil was supposed to be for the milk chocolate, except someone gave the wrong instructions to the foil people. Or they gave the wrong foil to the people who wrap the little squares.

Anyway you look at it, the Dove people screwed up. They should just admit their mistake and switch the colors back the way they should be. Or at least let us vote for our preference online -- like we do for everything else these days.

Not going to happen. But I can dream, can't I?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What they really should have done is package those little nuggets in something more appropriate. Something that would reflect the way real American women eat chcolate.

Something like a Pez dispenser. Or an Uzi.

Anonymous said...

I guessed right
funny how when I was younger
that I didn't care for dark chocolate
now I prefer it
even though I don't
eat many sweets, now
I'll pass out

Anonymous said...

Remo...ha!

Actually I thought the opposite. I guess it depends on how dark the colors we are talking about? I see red as deep burgundy & dark. Blue is like cool mint but I suppose could be navy? I don't know I think just pick something else for colors. How about Dark brown & light brown like the M&M colors though not designated that but still. I wonder if you could email them & ask & see why they picked them? Hmmm?

Anonymous said...

Dove doesn't need advertising when they have you, Mrs L.  I love the little Dove squares, and haven't had any in a while.  So now I have both kinds, in a bowl, on my counter.   Oh, the power of suggestion...
Anna