Surely you noticed the dating advice and tips on the AOL, sorry, Aol Personals page today. The one about the eight tips for dating a single parent. You missed it? Well here's a quick summary:
1. Be understanding. [Yeah, suck up to the little bastards.]
2. Make an effort. [You know, get off the couch once in a while.]
3. Get lost occasionally. [Let someone else hog the remote.]
4. Spend time with the kids. [Bring money. Go to the mall.]
5. Don't get too parental. [Timeouts are for umpires.]
6. Avoid good cop/bad cop. [Russian Roulette is so Deerhunter.]
7. Be mature. [But don't get fuddy duddy on everybody.]
8. Get comfortable with the ex. [Just not too comfortable.]
Naturally Mrs. Linklater has more rules she'd like to add to this list. She feels entitled since she raised her daughters from when they were in single digits. And they made it out the other side.
1. If I got a babysitter, we're going out.
2. If the kids are with their dad, we're going out.
3. If the kids are at camp, we're going out.
4. If one of the kids comes knocking in the middle of the night, don't be surprised to find yourself under the bed, in the closet, or behind a door.
5. You are not their uncle.
6. You are not their life coach.
7. Sunday breakfast is your responsibility.
8. So's your laundry.
Thus endeth the lesson for today.