Saturday, October 15, 2011

In the Belly of the Bitch

$165 for three events at my 50th high school reunion. Too much to pay for too little in return. The festivities have started with a Friday night meet and greet reception at the hotel. Next is a dinner at an exclusive club tonight. And finally, a brunch back at the hotel tomorrow morning. I'll whine again -- $165 is wa-a-a-a-a-a-a-ay too much to charge, if what I experienced last night is any indication. 
          First of all, there was a CASH bar. Really? So even a glass of wine or a bottle of beer wasn't included. Nevermind that I don't drink, it's the principle. Second my hors d'hoeuvres haul was a total of four little meatballs on toothpicks, and a quarter sized crab thing dipped in a sauce. I also had a tiny plate of antipasto from the hors d'hoeuvres table. Not that I wouldn't have gnoshed on more, but more wasn't offered by the waiters walking around in their black jackets. 
          Assume $80 per person for the dinner we're having this evening and slightly over $40 for the food at each of the other events. So last night, just one of the four meatballs I had cost me $8 if you factor in the crab thing. And the antipasto was maybe worth about $.50. Little pieces of vegetables, sliced black olives, canned artichokes, one-inch wedges of lunch meat and oil. Make that $.25. 
          You can get a decent -- make that splendid -- meal at a nice restaurant for $80 a person. At that price, tonight's upcoming dinner should also include libations, even if I won't be having any. Which is another thing. People who don't drink always get soaked. Regardless, the way things are going, I'm sure the main course will be some kind of dressed up chicken. And the most anybody can expect to accompany this feast will be a glass of two-buck Chuck, if they're lucky. 
          I've allotted $40 for tomorrow's brunch. Seriously, $40 for brunch? At a suburban hotel? You gotta be kidding. But I probably got a reunion goody bag, right? Sure. A Whole Foods plastic grocery bag with my nametag in it.
          I mention all this high finance because my girlfriend is in town for her reunion and they're having similar events -- a Friday night meet and greet, Saturday dinner, and Sunday brunch. So we've been comparing costs. She went to a fancy private academy. I went to a public school. And she's only being charged $60. 
          Last night I found out that the reunion committee treasurer is taking a two week trip to Europe at the end of the month. Coincidence? I think not. 

1 comment:

Chris said...

They wanted everyone to be able to say that they got screwed at their 50th reunion and for $165...you got screwed :)