Saturday, May 8, 2004

Weekend Assignment #4

The most memorable birthday present I ever got? Hm-m-m. Was it the year I got a motorcycle helmet from my [former] spouse? Memorable, but like a woman who remembers getting a vacuum cleaner -- not in a good way. Was it last year's gift when one of my brothers presented me with a beautiful blue topaz pendant the size of a bowling ball for a mileSTONE birthday? Close.

But there is one that has stood the test of time. The most memorable was also the most meaningful.  And it wasn't even a birthday present. It was a surprise party thrown by my older daughter. She planned it from start to finish by herself. From hand-delivering the invitations -- women only, she specified -- to getting a cake and figuring out a way to get me out of the house so the guests could sneak in. She worked so hard to make it so much fun for everyone. I loved every minute.

And the thing that still brings a smile to my face more than twenty years later is that she did it all when she was only ten years old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was reading what your daughter did for your birthday, I was thinking how sweet.  But, when you said she was only ten! That was beyond sweet, adorable ... beyond words.  What a wonderful memory you have.

Monica
http://beta.journals.aol.com/sonensmilinmon/SmilinMonsAdventures/entries/560
(assignment entry)

Anonymous said...

The fact that your daughter did this when she was ten, well it almost made me cry.  What a beautiful and thoughtful daughter you have.  

Come read about what I gave my father for his birthday when I was about six (a headless Barbie Doll).

http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink