Playing is simple: you can either answer the questions in a comment at Patrick's Place [see Other Journals], or put the answers in an entry on your journal...but either way, leave a link to your journal so that everyone else can visit! If you don't have an AOL journal, you can still play, but of course you'll at least need an AOL screen name, which you can get for free with AOL Instant Messenger, to be able to leave a comment here. Enjoy!
1. Which of the following is your favorite store and why?
C) K Mart
Except for Sears, Mrs. Linklater doesn't shop at these stores. Not that she wouldn't want to. But why pay wholesale prices, when she can pay full retail? Wait she bought some kitchen stuff at Target, once. She even has a membership at Costco. But mostly she'd rather patronize her local shops. Where everybody knows your name. And tells you good dirt about your neighbors.
2. How far does your closest friend who's not in the same town as you live, and when was the last time you saw them in person?
Mrs. Linklater has several close friends -- most of whom have pictures they're keeping as evidence. She sees them as much as possible, because they live in places like Hawaii, Malibu, San Diego, New York, and Montana. Why do you think they're her friends? Her kids live in Las Vegas and London. Two toddling towns. Now you know why she likes to travel so much.
3. Have you ever gone on a date with someone you met online? Would you?
Ever? No. Would Mrs. Linklater consider doing such a thing? Hmmm. After many years, Mrs. L has finally learned to never say never. But she does think there are three chances of that ever happening. Slim, none and a definite maybe.
4. What is your favorite novel and what makes it stand out for you?
Paco's Story. A searing fictional memoir of the emotional havoc suffered by a Vietnam vet. It was nominated for the National Book Award.
5. You get snowed in at your home for three days. You have power and telephone service, but no way to leave the house. How will you amuse yourself?
Mrs. Linklater was snowed in just a week or so ago for two days. What a perfect opportunity to throw out her younger daughter's Trojan Horse project from third grade. Or use the glue gun to make a bust of Abraham Lincoln out of the styrofoam peanuts she's been saving.
Instead she read books, watched TV and movies, played with her cameras, wrote in her journal, talked on the phone to all her friends and family. And ran out of food. The usual.
6. A fellow journaler you consider a friend disappears from J-land. Visitors leave comments in the journal but they get no response. You send the journaler an E-mail to make sure everything is okay, and despite the fact that you see that it has been read, you get no reply. What do you do?
This is no doubt a thinly disguised cry for Jeffcomedy to come out come out wherever you are. He hasn't posted since he stubbed his toe in November. And Mrs. Linklater dares to ask the question, "Is he dead?" Check out his link in her Other Journals area.
But today is another day. And another chance to make fun of people. So here are Mrs. Linklater's Top Ten Reasons why Jeff has most likely disappeared.
10. He finally learned how to drive and he's stuck in traffic somewhere on the San Diego freeway. 9. He still didn't learn how to drive and he's finally tired of coming up with excuses. 8. He has a part in a movie as John Cusack's evil twin. 7. He IS John Cusack's evil twin. 6. He's studying to pass the headwaiter's exam at Chili's. 5. He flunked it. 4. He is suffering from a rare typing disease and travels the world seeking a cure. 3. He never left J-Land. He now writes under another name and posts in a private access journal. 2. Nah. Never happen. 1. And the number one reason Jeff is not around -- he's fallen and he can't get up.