Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Okay, Back to Important Things Like Sex


FROM MedicineNet.com these words to live by:


Fend Off Dementia With Sex, Crosswords and A Run

Last Updated: 2005-04-07 9:42:26 -0400 (Reuters Health)

CANBERRA (Reuters) - Sex, cryptic crosswords and a good run could help ward off dementia and other degenerative conditions by stimulating new brain cells, an Australian researcher said on Thursday.

Perry Bartlett, a professor at the University of Queensland's Brain Institute, said mental and physical exercise helped create and nurture new nerve cells in the brain, keeping it functional and warding off diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.

"Perhaps one should run a long distance and do the cryptic crossword, " Bartlett told Australian radio.

He said a chemical called prolactin appeared to promote new cells in the brain and could be found in high levels in pregnant women.

"Prolactin levels also go up during sex as well. So one could think of a number of more entertaining activities than running in order to regulate the production of nerve cells," Bartlett said.



Mrs. Linklater plans to do whatever it takes to regulate her prolactins today.  Gotta keep producing them nerve cells.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

careful careful -prolactin is awfully close to teats, breasts, nursing, exposed, titillation, tos....regulatioooooonnnssssssss....

Anonymous said...

Mrs. L
So, if I do a crossword or two while having sex I will get really smart?  I don't think My Mrs. will go for that!
Sam

Anonymous said...

ummmm.... no running was involved.

Anonymous said...

ummmmmm...... I did my part this weekend:):):):) tee hee tee hee. judi

Anonymous said...

looks like it's crosswords and running for me.... sigh.... would rather have the other choice.... but it's a bit quiet in Tracyland.... : (
Tracy

Anonymous said...

I think the pregnant women must only be carriers, since most of the one's I've known are mad as a hatter.

Anonymous said...

YES!! I am going to live forever!!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Woohoo!  I got 2 out of 3 covered here!
Just need to add the crosswords....naaahh.  Better to remind the hubby that we're keeping our minds sharp while we're um, running ;)  
Anna

Anonymous said...

Now if I could find a way to do all three at once!