Monday, November 21, 2005

Thanksgiving

This year Thanksgiving falls on the 24th of November. 

The 24th of November is the day that my stepmother and dad got married..

The 24th of November is the day that one of my brothers was born.

The 24th of November is the day my Uncle Archie was killed in 1932 on one of his last days of training in the Army Air Corps. His wingman hit him and when he bailed out his parachute got caught on something and he went down with his plane.


Two weeks ago my pregnant sister in law was told that her baby wasn't 34 weeks along, he was 38 weeks along. This week is her fortieth week. She's full term. Tomorrow she'll be at the doctor about the time I fly in. 

I'm wondering if we're going to have something else to commemorate on the 24th again.

Hey, Doc, can you hold off on your turkey so we can fit another November 24th anniversary in?


My brother planned to do the meal this year. I've enjoyed several years off by going to visit my friends and family.  But this baby may have other plans for him.

Wait a minute. That means I may be cooking the turkey. Do you dare me to make that Campbell's green bean and mushroom soup side dish?  Haaaaaaaaaaaa.

How about if I serve a can of jellied cranberry sauce pushed out of the can onto a glass dish so you can see the rings around it. Always a nice touch. I could use Potato Buds too -- instead of peeling and cooking the real thing. Is there a recipe for microwave turkey?


So what's your favorite dish from Thanksgiving that you remember best? Or like to cook most? I will always love mashed potatoes and gravy. My favorite to cook and eat.

I can't wait for a respite from the goodness of my sushi and chicken with steamed vegetables world.  Whether I end up cooking or not.

Have a great holiday. 


  



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the things I am thankful for is YOU.  You have no idea how many laughs you've given me.  AOL might be a turkey, but you are not.

Anonymous said...

You will never know how much that means to me this  year, Mo.. Thanks for being there for me, too.  I can count on you to be first to post a comment.  Mrs. L

Anonymous said...

Here here.  Thanks for sticking around through the recent flatulance.  I don't know what I'd do with out my daily dose of Linklater.

hugs
=) kris
(still here too - http://journals.aol.com/kristeenaelise/thedailypurge)

Anonymous said...

You can always order out!  Whatever's on the table, hope the day is memorable for you.

Anonymous said...

"That means I may be cooking the turkey. Do you dare me to make that Campbell's green bean and mushroom soup side dish?" Mrs. L

Dare you?  In the midwest?  I thought that no green bean caserole on Thanksgiving would guarantee a visit from the food police. LOL  [wispering]  I didn't make it last year, no one noticed.

Anonymous said...

they don't sell it anymore ... but plum pudding

Anonymous said...

I dare you to wait until everyone is seated, then bring a platter of sushi out before you really trot out the bird.  lol
Anna

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the can imprints on the canned cranberry sauce!   Too funny!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the new baby in the family and have a great holiday. Yes, you have to make the green bean thing, although I never have and don't even know how. Isn't that pitiful? I like home made gravy and I can do that - and I like the rolls, too. Go figure.

Turkeys cook themselves. Just shove it in the oven and right before smoke comes out, it's done. It takes about 6 days, right?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

even though I don't feel very happy
at the moment
I want to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving anyroad
I have total (?) faith
that you could pull off the turkey dinner
of all time :)

Anonymous said...

love turkey!
Good luck with the Thanksgiving baby!
marti