Saturday, May 28, 2005

Patrick's Saturday Six Memorial Day Edition

1. What is the most inexpensive, non-valuable thing you tend to collect and hoard?  Why do you do it?

I save the cartridges that film comes in.  Those little plastic containers that would be great for holding things like some change.  Or some thumb tacks.  Or pills.  Or matches.  Or a few cubes of bouillion. Only I never use them for anything.  I just save them in case I might need to use them sometime.  

2. What is the highest price you've paid per gallon for gasoline where you live?  Do you use regular, mid-grade or premium?

After $2.50 a gallon I hide my eyes.  I use premium because why save when you can pay more?

3. What is your favorite Bible verse and why?  If you don't have a verse from the Bible that holds meaning to you, what's your favorite saying and why?

Instead of a Bible verse, Mrs. Linklater has always liked the prayer attributed to St. Francis of Assisi, the one that starts out --
Lord, make me an instrument of your peace. 
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
And where there is sadness, joy. . .

She reads it from time to time to see just how far she has strayed from accomplishing any of those things.

The saying that resonates most for her is one her great grandmother used to utter in total exasperation, when she was cranky, which was often, "Go tell my ass, my head's gone a huckleberryin'."

4. What was your favorite movie from the 1970s?  When did you last view it?  Do you have it in your movie collection?

The sixties and seventies have all kind of blurred together.  Godfather probably in the seventies. Mrs. L watched it a few years ago and noticed how old Al Pacino and Diane Keaton were getting. Kinda like Mrs. Linklater's own bad self.  She owns the trilogy in VHS. Time to upgrade maybe.

5. Do you weigh more, less, or the same as you did one year ago?  Six months ago?  Three months ago?

Mrs. Linklater started eating more sensibly last year, except for those occasional bags of Riesen's chocolate toffees. Hmmm.  Anyway she weighs less, but the real question is does she look any better?

6. READER'S CHOICE QUESTION #54 from Jennie: What one lyric sums up your current love life?  Your view on life?  Your past?  Your hopes/dreams/fears?

For right now, just to get this entry posted, let's go with It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood. . .for everything.  And I'll get back to you with something more accurate later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We use those film canisters at my school for our "Can Cancer" fund raiser. One of those will hold $7 in quarters!
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Fave 70's movie:"JAWS"(1975):)

Anonymous said...

A few years ago, I finally threw out my empty film cannister collection.  I must have had over a dozen or so of the little black containers.  I am glad that I have a digital camera now, or I would still be tempted to save those things thinking I may "someday" have a use for them.
Sam

Anonymous said...

I like your answer to #3. Maire Brennan the voice of Irish band Clannad wrote a song based on this prayer. Both song and prayer have been one of my favourites for years.
Have a lovely Memorial Day Weekend.

Anonymous said...

would be nice if i left a link to my journal huh? :)
http://journals.aol.com/etherealpeachy/EtherealDreaming

Anonymous said...

I love the lyric question ....hell i just love anything to do with music .....the comedy answer to what lyric somes up my current love life is "solitaires the only game in town " (neil sedaka , the man , the legend , the pixie of song )
The hopeful answer is from a song called "ALLELUJAH" by Eddi Reader a scottish angel of a songbird and she writes words that amaze me
"Your smile is a prayer that prays for love ,
and your heart is a kite that longs to fly ,
Allelujah here i am,
Lets cut the strings tonight ,
And we'll kiss the first of a million kisses ,
let the past fall away "
Kinda hard to follow that with a witty comment....so i wont even try x