Thursday, June 9, 2005

The Morning Commute

A tanker full of ether just flipped over and exploded on the expressway I will be driving on in a few hours.

It's five o' something in the morning CDT.  I wonder what the backup on the highway will be like by 8:00 AM.

Might as well go back to bed.

UPDATE:  The Bad News -- I live in an urban area where tankers carrying ether can roll over and blow up.

The Good News -- I live in an urban area with trained professionals who know how to remove tankers carrying ether when they roll over and blow up -- before I have to drive on the same road.

All gone at 8:00 AM. Rush hour traffic as usual. Terrible. But not awful.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stay in bed or not, just stay off that road this morning.
Sam

Anonymous said...

Woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah ! The most dangerous thing i have to traverse on the morning commute is a grumpy , ill mannered ,bus driver or perhaps at worst swearving to avoid a doggy doo in the street !
Id sit this one out , pour another cup of joe and wait for the all clear x

Anonymous said...

in the summer my rush hour is to get to do my walk before it gets too hot
Don't hate me!
MuaHHAHAHA
Marti
i hope everyone is safe (that previous comment was typed by my evil kitty computer companion, Emily)

Anonymous said...

My job is about 1mile from my house with about a dozen options to get there - this isn't something I relate to anymore.  Whew, gone are the days of the commute.  Hope you get there safely.

Monica
http://journals.aol.com/photographybymon/Mamarazzi/

Anonymous said...

I know you had only just gotten up, but it should have been obvious to you: if the truck blew up upon rolling over, there wasn't anything much to clean up after it was extinquished - ether is very flammable stuff and would have burned off very quickly.

Surely you remember from the bad old days when they poured ether on cotton-wool as anaesthesia prior to dental work when you were a child...

:D  Just kidding, dear heart. I know you aren't remotely old enough to remember ether at the dentist's office...

Anonymous said...

Hm, maybe I would have rushed out for a good whiff!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Linklater, It's  nice to meet another cosmic "genie".  I live in the L.A. suburbs so tankers are routinely flipping over on our freeways--in between horrendous rush hour traffic--and watch out for those crazy police pursuits! I invite you to check out my new website:  Jeanne's Message in a Blog