Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Conspicuous Consumers

The Today Show had a list of some of the stuff we consume every day.  Be afraid.  Be very afraid.

Over 35 million servings of Bud Light

More than 2 million BK Whoppers

Over 300,000 packs of Pampers

More than 325,000 Barbie dolls -- bought, not eaten

132 thousand pounds of coffee per day drunk at Starbuck's

500 thousand Twinkies

People are being paid to find this stuff out.  Think about that.


I'd like to know how many gallons of mouthwash, how many miles of toilet paper, how many feet of condoms [how do they measure condoms anyway?] how many yards of licorice, the red stuff, and how many bottles of hair gel are consumed daily.

I will ponder these and other deep thoughts as I leave now to drive downtown to work. Hmmm, I wonder how many thousands of flat tires there are every day? How many empty bags of chips are in the back seats of cars?

Not mine, of course. Yogurt cups maybe.

By the way, why is the time stamp on my entries posted with EASTERN DAYLIGHT TIME? I live in the MIDWEST. It should be CDT. Is there a button I shouldn't have pushed? Is there someone in India who's messing with me? 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

All that garbage and we're still drilling for oil? I bet the average American city could power itself just by burning debit card receipts.

Foot condoms? Isn't that a little drastic?

Anonymous said...

325,000 Barbie dolls bought, not eaten. The eaten figure would obviously be far lower, but I'm sure it exists. Some people are odd like that.

Here's a variation on a joke I was told once about children. (I HOPE it was a joke): "I love Barbies. I just can't eat a whole one." :-)

Anonymous said...

I tried to find out where you change the time zone, but I couldn't find it.  Email journalseditor, and he'll help you out.

Anonymous said...

500 thousand Twinkies?   Twinkies???

What's the half-life of a Twinkie?  :p
Anna

Anonymous said...

There is always someone in India messing with us. Be very afraid. I wonder if they eat Twinkies and/or Barbies in India?

xoxo

Anonymous said...

thr shelf life of a TWINKEE is 25 years.    imadne eating a 25 year old TWINKEE?

Anonymous said...

What about "How much sugar do we eat?" I bet its alot!
Come visit my journal, stay awhile, have lunch, read, comment,
http://journals.aol.com/cgferrer71/christineg34/
Christine

Anonymous said...

Isn't this just "lunch?"  Well, maybe not the 325k Barbie dolls.  They get a little filing after 268k.  Too much fiber.