Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hanging Around in Louisville

After cruising through Nashville, I planned to stop in Louisville for a night to visit with my Malibu friend, Nancy, who was coaching at the 2013 USA Volleyball National Championships. That one day/night turned into five as I met up with other old friends and enjoyed being a guest at a couple of awards dinners. Watched a lot of volleyball too.  

Bertha [you're never too old to wear leather] Lucas, 94, the Grande Dame of USA Volleyball, was celebrating her 60th year in a row at the USAV National Tournament. Her late daughter, Patti Bright, was a two-time Olympian married to Mike Bright, another Olympian. Lots of grandchildren have also been formidable players/coaches. Her younger daughter, my friend Nancy [shown on the right], has been an All-American, MVP, and winning coach so many times I can't count them all. 


Nancy and Bertha with California USAV Commissioner, Ann Davenport, 
tennis great Lindsay Davenport's mom, before one of the dinners.

 My friend Scott and I together for the first time since 1989 or more. I've known him since he was an 18-year-old setter. At one point, he was even my coach. He now runs one of the most successful volleyball clubs in the USAV with 68 teams -- Sky High out of Crystal Lake, IL. He still looks eighteen. He's still setting. Maybe that's why we're both laughing. 


Bertha Lucas after the awards dinner with Doug Beal, former National Player 
and Olympic Coach [1984 Gold Medal Team], who now heads up 
USA Volleyball as its CEO. He's known Bertha since their days in Chicago. 


No comments: